Morriston Camera Club
Affiliated to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain through The Welsh Photographic Federation






Dungarvan, Ireland

Four day trip, 1st to 4th August, 2014.

Group photo. Photo Jeff Lang
Photo- Jeff Lang


[More images] [Slideshow]


Our much anticipated weekend began at 12.20pm on Friday 1st August when we left Edwards' Depot for our journey to Pembroke for departure via Irish Ferries at 2.45pm. I thought it would be good to get into the Irish spirit early so shared some Guinness flavoured chocolate which went down extremely well!

On arrival at Pembroke Dock we discovered that our sailing wouldn't be until 4.00pm due to a medical problem on the previous crossing. Our eventual crossing was very smooth and we reached Rosslare at 8.00pm where we were greeted with heavy rain.

On route to our hotel we all took part in Marie's quiz which was very enjoyable. Margie and I had the pleasure of winning after a tie-breaker question where I think I moved faster than Tony on a field trip to hand in the answer!

When we arrived at our hotel, the Lawlor Arms in Dungarvan, we went straight in for our delicious evening meal which was much needed by all. After our meal we collected our belongings from the bus and, after a few nightcaps, retired to our beds. Margie and I met a rather drunken Irishman in the corridor on the way to our room who enquired as to whether either of us would like to spend the night in his room which we found very amusing. We discovered the next morning that Sharon and Sian and a few others in our party had had the same person gatecrashing their rooms so think we got off lightly!

Our Saturday began with a lovely cooked breakfast, we were then joined by members of Dungarvan Camera Club including Sar'anne O'Rourke and Tony Walsh before leaving at 9.00am for Ardmore. We were met by a local historian Liam Suipell who gave us a guided tour of the village. Our next stop was at Youghal where the film "Moby Dick" was filmed in 1954. We stopped for a lunch of soup and sandwiches in the Walter Raleigh Hotel. After lunch we met another historian Ed Guirey for a guided tour of Youghal. Whilst visiting St Mary's Church here, we were treated to an impromptu song from Janice, Sian, Angela and Margaret. It was a real pleasure and privilege to hear such beautiful voices.

Group outside bus
Photo - Tony Llewellyn

Our next visit was to Lismore Castle and Gardens where we were very kindly shown around by Michael Bumster and obtained some lovely shots. We returned to our hotel for another wonderful meal and afterwards most of us made our way to the local watering holes to sample the Irish hospitality.

The fire alarm going off in the early hours of the morning was the start to our Sunday but thankfully was a false alarm (pardon the pun). After breakfast we met our guide John for a walk around Dungarvan and a fascinating talk on the town's history. We stopped at St Mary's Church where we were kindly treated to unexpected tea and snacks, all for just a donation if we wished. Our next stop was in Dungarvan Shopping Centre with an exhibition from members of Dungarvan Camera Club. The photographs on show were lovely and a pleasure to view. We all had a group shot here and Sar'anne was presented with a beautiful miniature miner's lamp by our chairman Richard Walters.

A vsit to Mahon Falls, a spectacular 80m waterfall, followed. Praise has to be given here to our driver Tony for his skilful driving and for negotiating some really tight turns on the way. Upon our return to the hotel, we had yet another marvellous evening meal, the hotel deserves nothing but praise for making our stay wonderful.

After dinner some of our group left Dungarvan at 7.30pm bound for Waterford to see the Spraoi Parade and Fireworks, based on the theme "To the Waters and the Wild". The bus dropped us off at the Quay in Waterford at about 8.30pm ready for the 9.30pm start. We soon found good positions to enjoy the parade which eventually reached us at 10.00pm. It was fantastic and thoroughly enjoyed by all. No sooner had the parade finished when we all about turned to find places to view the fireworks display. This really was spectacular which rounded off the weekend splendidly if not a little late as we did not start the trip back to Dungarvan until 11.30pm. Our driver expertly manoeuvred the bus through the thronged streets and back to base. We were all tired but well contented as we arrived back at the hotel. By the way, Spraoi means fun!

Monday, our last day, dawned with an early breakfast at 5.00am followed by departure at 6.00am. We had a beautiful sunrise on route to Rosslare which we reached in good time for our sailing at 8.45am. Before boarding the ferry, we all trooped off the bus for a group shot outside by Tony, our designated photographer. Much hilarity ensued back on the coach when Richard managed to count more people than were actually on board.

Our return crossing was on time and very smooth again. Before we knew it, we were back in Pembroke and heading back to Edwards' Depot where we arrived just after 3.15pm. Everyone was tired but very happy as we left the bus and said our goodbyes. A wonderful weekend was had by all and thanks must go to Richard and Marie as well as the members of Dungarvan Camera Club and our driver Tony.

Fireworks in Waterford
Photo - Sian Sullivan

MCC Field Trips 2014